Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Ups and Downs of Research

As I mentioned in my last post, I was finding difficulties with outdated resource materials (specifically VHS tapes!). Recently I came across a PBS/WNED documentary entitled, "The Pan-American Experience", detailing the planning, the construction, and daily events at the Fair (http://www.wned.org/productions/panam.asp). It was wonderful to see it available online at WNED's website, however it gives a date when it was on air and nothing more. It's not available for purchase, it's not even available on their video, full-episode website called "PBS video link". I could only find a preview of the video on youtube, a short 2 minute clip. I decided to try the library once again, and found the VHS was available in several local branches. I will be picking this up as soon as my request is ready for pickup.

I wanted to find some primary documents just to give a basic understanding of the exposition and how important it was for Buffalo at the time. I went onto Barnes & Noble, and did just a basic search for "Pan-American Exposition". It was remarkable how many books were listed---- and most of them from 1901! And even better yet, available for download on my NOOK! For FREE! I downloaded several FREE original documents such as: "Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901, May 1 to November 1" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Pan-American-Exposition-Buffalo-1901-May-1-to-November-1/Pan-American-Exposition-Company/e/2940019771646/?itm=1&USRI=pan-american+exposition; and "Official Catalogue of the Mexican exhibits at the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo, N.Y., U.S.A. May 1st to Nov 1st, 1901" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Official-catalogue-of-the-Mexican-exhibits-at-the-Pan-American-exposition-at-Buffalo-NY-USA-May-first-to-November-first-1901/Buffalo-Mexico-National-Commission-from-the-United-States-of-Mexico-to-the-Pan-American-Exposition/e/2940030721286/?itm=6&USRI=pan-american+exposition. I was surprised that Barnes and Noble offered these for free, however it's so convenient to download it directly to my NOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment