Thursday, February 17, 2011

Surprising Discovery

First of all, I would like to apologize for not posting last week; I was so sick with the stomach flu not much else I could do. Aside from that, I did find some promising information about the Pan-American Exposition in an unlikely source. I was applying for a job at the University at Buffalo and accidentally (or rather coincidentally) came across their online exhibition of Pan-American treasures entitled "Illuminations: Revisiting the Buffalo Pan-American Exposition of 1901".

http://library.buffalo.edu/exhibits/panam/index.html

Their online exhibition was much different from the other sources I found... it made it feel like you could actually visit the 1901 Expo right here, right now. The first online exhibit is called "Food and Drink at the Pan-American Exposition", giving a detailed map and list of restaurants at the Expo. I feel that with such details such as a restaurant map you can virtually experience the expo more than a century later. It feels so much more alive than just the typical images of the expo at night. I hope in the days to come I can really research more what the UB Library exhibit offers and then stem my research out of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment