Friday, April 15, 2011

Books, or eBooks?

Already for this semester, I have taken at least 30 books out from the library. Being charged for late fines and requesting fees, these consequences go hand in hand with borrowing from the library. Although I love and encourage the library's future as a vital part of the community, I found another resource that can sometimes be overlooked when trying to find research items -- eBooks.


From Barnes and Noble's website, I have found so many resources pertaining to my Pan-American Exposition project. For example, I found "Official Views of the Pan-American exposition" by C.D. Arnold from 1901, "Catalogue of the Exhibition of Fine Arts", "The Last Speech of President McKinley", and "The Official Catalogue of the Mexican Exhibits at the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo, N.Y., USA May First to November First 1901". To re-emphasize: ALL from Barnes and Noble, for FREE. Technology really is amazing, isn't it?

United States Government Building at the 1901 Pan Am Expo.
So, after I downloaded all of these, I put them onto my nook reader and began researching these texts. It's really a wonderful experience to be reading what tourists read back in 1901! Who would have thought that these were on Barnes and Noble? When I think ebooks, I think contemporary works, not digitized texts from the turn of the century! I'm so glad I found them, and definitely will tell everyone doing research to check out the B&N website!




1 comment:

  1. Works Cited

    Arnold, C. D. Official Views of Pan-American Exposition. Buffalo, NY: C.D. Arnold, 1901. Print.

    Catalogue of the Exhibition of Fine Arts. Buffalo, NY: William A. Coffin, 1901. Print.

    McKinley, William. The Last Speech of President McKinley. New York: Beers Pub., 1908. Print.

    OFFICIAL CATALOGUE OF THE MEXICAN EXHIBITS AT THE PAN-AMERICAN EXPOSITION. BUFFALO, NY: BUFFALO. PAN-AMERICAN EXPOSITION, 1901, 1901. Print.

    ReplyDelete