Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ahh, Technology...

Photo Credits: Susan Eck
A few posts ago I wrote about how exciting the prospect of booking a librarian for a research appointment was going to be. Well, it seems that a bit of human error coupled with the occasionally mischievous gremlin of technology burst my bubble. I requested an appointment with a librarian at the Public Library on March 4th. It clearly states on their website that within two business days, a librarian will contact you.  I heard back from them... five minutes ago. She kindly left a message saying that she hoped someone helped me already and that I don't need an appointment to see the Buffalo Pan-American Exhibit. It's interesting because I specifically asked to see microfilm and items in the Rare Book Collections. The request form I sent must have been overlooked. While I appreciate the efforts to get back to me, I feel somewhat disappointed. I was so looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm with someone as interested in the topic as I am. So here's the conflict: while technology is wonderful (look how easy it was to attempt to book a librarian), sometimes a good old in person visit gets the job done... much faster.

On now to some good news! I recently found some cassettes and video tapes of Pan-Am documentaries. I even found one called "Pan-American Exposition: A Bird's Eye View of Sights and Sounds", offering music selections actually heard by spectators in 1901. How exciting is it to actually be in this day and age and make yourself feel like you were back at the turn of the 20th century! I'd like to include some of this music on my virtual project. Continuing on what I was saying in an earlier post, by adding all those different sensory items to a virtual exhibit, you almost re-create the event! I'm really excited and looking forward to beginning the website. Okay, I'll keep you updated on what else I discover in my journeys!

Image Source:
Eck, Susan. Pan-American Expo. Digital image. Neonatology on the Web: Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo 1901. Neonatology on the Web. Web. 23 Mar. 2011. <http://www.neonatology.org/pinups/panam.html>.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. article to read about 3D model

    ReplyDelete