Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Midway

While digging further into research, I found out something pretty interesting... I had never known
The Esquire Village.
before that the main center of a fair or carnival is called a Midway. It hosts vendors and connoisseurs whose sole purpose to entertain, amuse, and give information. I was looking on this one website, and it said that the Midway was such an important part of the Expo that without it, most of its charm would be lost on its visitors. For example, there was an Esquimo Village detailing the native lives of Eskimos; the AerioCycle, where passengers could board two ends of a steel seesaw and view the Expo from about 275 ft. up in the air.

Aerio-Cycle.
I think what's most amazing about this is how important it seemed to the overall experience at the Expo. While these amusements may have added charm to the experience, when you really think about it, it offered the visitors a chance to explore different cultures (as with the Esquimo Village), and see the latest technology (the new electricity). The more I research the Expo, I'm quite jealous that I can't visit it in person, as it looked in 1901. That's probably why I wanted to do this project in the first place, because it looks so magical and beautiful.

Works Cited:
"The Pan-American Exposition: The Midway." The Buffalo History Works: 2005. Web. 27 Feb. 2011. <http://www.buffalohistoryworks.com/panamex/midway/midway.htm>.

No comments:

Post a Comment