Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What I Know Now

The only information I know going into this research project is that the Pan-American Exposition was held in Buffalo, N.Y. in 1901. One tragic event that made the expo so memorable was the assassination of President William McKinley, who was shot at the expo and then died days later from infection.

Another intriguing aspect of the Pan-Am expo is how ephemeral and mysterious it is for me today. I heard that most of the buildings in the 1901 expo were demolished once the festivities were over. Why did they do this? Is there enough documentation to fully capture its beauty and essence? I've seen some photographs, especially night-time ones, and the images are breathtaking. Even the prints advertising the expo are spectacular and define the era with its superb style in Art Nouveau.

So, my research begins! I will first start by ransacking the local library for anything--- I also just saw some video clips online about the expo at night (1901 footage!)... I've tried to embed it, however if it does not work, here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4w-C753iY

No comments:

Post a Comment